The amount of sales tax charged on your order depends on many factors, including the type of item purchased and the location to which your item is shipped. Your "Ship-To" address determines the sales/use tax rate you are charged.
Tax Information for PROFISHOP Purchases
Does sales tax apply to my PROFISHOP purchase?
PROFISHOP is required by law to charge applicable sales taxes for online orders. Shipping charges may also be subject to tax in certain states.
How is the tax calculated?
PROFISHOP calculates the tax in accordance with applicable state and local laws. Generally, the tax rate is based on the type of product purchased and where your purchase is shipped, delivered or picked up.
State law requires that PROFISHOP have a properly executed exemption certificate from all customers who claim a tax exemption. If you qualify for a tax exemption, please use your PROFISHOP Tax Exempt Customer Account. Just send an email with your completed Tax Exemption Certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide your state issued number (ex. Tax ID, Exemption Number, etc.) on a valid exemption certificate
- If submitting a certificate requiring a description of exempt items, the section must be completed, and indicative of products purchased from PROFISHOP
- erify the name on your exemption certificate matches the name on the account
- Certificates requiring a signature must be physically signed to be valid
- Certificates must be completed in their entirety
- Documents must be in an electronic format (.pdf, .tif, .jpg, .bmp)
I am tax exempt, but I was charged tax on my PROFISHOP order. What do I do?
If you make a tax-exempt purchase on PROFISHOP but do not use your Tax-Exempt account, you have 30 days from the date of purchase to e-mail email@example.com to request a refund. The refund request must contain your order number.
Are there payment method restrictions for tax-exempt purchases?
Many states require some organizations to use organizational funds for tax-exempt purchases. This means that the credit card used must be issued by the organization to receive tax-exempt status. The personal credit card of an employee working for a tax-exempt organization cannot be used.
What are sales tax holidays?
At certain times of the year, some states offer a sales tax holiday which makes qualifying items exempt from sales tax during the holiday period. Common types of sales tax holidays include Energy Star, Storm or Hurricane Preparedness and Back-to-School. Various items such as washers, refrigerators, flashlights, clothing and computers may be exempt during this period.